Sunday, August 21, 2011

Making Zucchini Pancakes...Pretend like its the Weekend now!

I have never been much of a pancake girl. Don't get me wrong, breakfast is by far the best meal of the day. But, I tend to go for a smoothie, oatmeal, peanut butter toast, or cereal. However, these pancakes are one of my top five breakfasts. They taste like home. Any recipe taken from Momma Neth's cookbook, Family Favorites, will never lead you astray. If you haven't ever experienced Robin's cooking, trust me when I say that she is a rockstar in the kitchen (and at many other things).

This past Thursday and Friday night Tyler and I had a visitor, my "little" brother Kellyn (I will always call him my little brother, even though he has definitely outgrown me). So to fit the special occasion, Saturday morning we didn't "pretend like it's the weekend" because it was the weekend! I was "making zucchini pancakes, because it is the weekend now." If you don't recognize that it's from Jack Johnson's song Banana Pancakes.

Anyways, I have never seen anyone not like these savory, delicious pancakes. I dare you to try them! :-)
Zucchini Patty's (adapted from Family Favorites)
2 eggs, beaten                             1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt                                  6 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp pepper                            2 cups shredded zucchini
1 tsp baking powder

Beat the eggs and add all of the dry ingredients (add zucchini last). Then cook just like normal pancakes on a skillet (medium high) until cooked through.  

I also took the same recipe but instead of pepper and Parmesan, I added 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and about 1/2 cup of blueberries (if you want them sweeter added about 1 tbsp of honey or sugar). 
Either way, I recommend topping with Madison's Peanut Butter Spread (http://www.espressoandcream.com/2011/08/peanut-butter-spread.html).  You could also trickle maple syrup or my brother even goes with Ketchup for the Parmesan recipe! 

Don't you all just love garden veggies? I'm always amazed at God's design in it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment