Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Greatest of These

 
John 13:35 "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples - when they see the love you have for each other."

Have you ever been in a relationship where God's call to love them became very difficult? I can practically hear you all saying, "YES!" Every relationship that's worth it becomes difficult at times. Through this past year of marriage, I have been experiencing this tension in a whole new way....Funny thing though, it's not because my husband is so extremely hard to love but because for the first time in my life I can't simply "just run away" from a conflict...

Interesting, because as I try and fail over and over again to love fully when it's hard, I now have new eyes for the God who loves me when time and time again I fail Him. I run from Him, fake it with Him, twist His truth. But God continuously brings me back saying, "Kristin, I love you. I will always love you."

I made the painting above thinking about the simplicity of God's Word. The background is full of hymns and responsive readings representing God's truth expressed in the world.  These things are good, but not the most important thing. According to John's Gospel, LOVE is the most important thing. You can't miss Jesus' command to love one another in John's Gospel nor in this painting. Our lives should be the same. No matter the words or actions of our day, the most important thing our lives speak to the world is our love for one another, made possible only because He first loved us. 

Praise the Lord for tough relationships and imperfect people to remind us of the only perfect Man and His deep love for us!

1 comment:

  1. Ah! So good to read! Ironic as we just did a little discussion on John 4 yesterday, where it was of course stressed that Love is the greatest gift we've been given and can give.
    Been thinking of you lots and hope to call or see you soon!

    ReplyDelete